Gansbaai – the Natural Adventure Destination.
THINGS TO DO
• There are plenty of fun-filled adventures to participate in from De Kelders to Pearly Beach.
• Marine Adventures
Shark cage diving and whale watching being the number one marine adventures.
An eco-boat that affords one the opportunity tospot the other members of the Marine Big Five– seals, penguins and dolphins. Fishing and
swimming add fun to this adventurealong with a dune ride on a Fatbike or an Overlandy beach experience. The long stretch of beach at Pearly Beach means one can walk for miles and forget all the troubles and cares. Include a visit to the Marine kiosk which showcases small marine life-forms that you never knew existed.
• Cave adventures
A visit to the Klipgat caves on the Duiwelsgat hiking trail takes one back in history to the Middle Stone-age.
• A visit to the Freshwater caves (Drupkelder) is a special treat with its fascinating stalagmites and stalactites. Swim in the freshwater pool which is believed to have healing qualities! For the adventurous there are four other caves in the area to explore.
• Hiking or walking along the various forests, including the Southernmost and Milkwood forests or along the coastline will expose the beautiful fynbos. The area boasts a wide variety of species and hotspots which can be expored.
Beach and birding adventures
The beaches at Franskraal and Pearly Beach are very popular in the summer. Stanfords Cove is a safe swimming beach for children. The
Uilenkraalsmond Estuary and lagoon not only Provide safe swimming options but is also popular for birding so pack your binoculars for a spot of bird watching. The area is home to more than 300 bird species, including the
African Fish Eagle and Orange-breasted Sunbird. Bird watchers can also opt for a Pelagic Tour on board an eco-friendly vessel, departing from Kleinbaai harbour.
• Visit the Danger Point Lighthouse, a historical beacon built in 1895. Climb the many steps to the top of the lighthouse for amazing views. The Birkenhead monument tells the story of the HMS Birkenhead which sank off the coast in 1882 and see the wave breaking over the rock which marks the spot where the wreckage lies.
• In Franskraal, you’ll find the Strandveld
Museum which houses artifacts of the earliest inhabitants of the region and also boasts the biggest collection of relics of the famous Birkenhead troopship and other shipwrecks in the perilous waters between Danger Point and Cape Infanta. A smaller collection of Birkenhead artifacts can be viewed at the Great White House
• A township tour in Masakhane adds to the
Cultural experience or dine with a local and Experience true African hospitality
The African Seabird sanctuary situated near Kleinbaai is a rehabilitation centre for penguins and other Seabirds. These endangered birds will steal your heart.
A little adventure within an adventure – Find the artificial Gansbaai penguins at various spots around the area; take a selfie and upload it to the Gansbaai facebookand you could win one of the adventures!
Horse riding through the fynbos on the beach or in the sea!
Wine tasting at the local wine farms.
Culinary experiences – a variety of restaurants and coffee shops cater for all tastes.